f

Ownership of the Whitney Plantation

Ambroise Heidel (1702-ca.1770), the founding father of this plantation, emigrated from Germany to Louisiana with his mother and siblings in 1721. He became a modest farmer on the east bank with, at one time, a single pig for all livestock. In 1752 Ambroise bought the original land tract of this plantation and became a wealthy owner engaged in the business of indigo. In 1803, the land claim (17 arpents/40) made before the American authorities by Jean Jacques Haydel Sr. (1744-1826), the youngest son of Ambroise, included his father’s farm (11 arpents/40). He transitioned the plantation from Indigo to sugar in the early 1800s. In 1820 Jean Jacques Haydel Sr. passed the property to his sons, Marcellin (1788-1839) and Jean Jacques Jr. (1780-1863).

 

After the death of Marcellin Haydel, his widow, Marie Azélie Haydel (1790-1860), bought the plantation and turned it into a huge agro-industrial unit (23 arpents/70), producing up to 407,000 pounds of sugar during one grinding season. She commissioned Dominici Canova to paint the murals and the frescos, which are still adorning the interior and exterior of the main house. However, it should never be forgotten that this success story was made possible by the hard work of hundreds of enslaved people. After the Civil War (1867) the plantation was sold to Bradish Johnson of New York, who named the property after his grandson, Harry Whitney.

 

  • Up to 1752: Widow Bernard Vickner.
  • 1752-1770: Ambroise Haydel.
  • 1770-1774: Widow Ambroise Haydel and children.
  • 1774-1776: Louis Girard Pellerin then Antoine Albert.
  • 1776-1820: Jean Jacques Haydel Sr.
  • 1820-1839: Jean Jacques Haydel Jr. and Marcellin Haydel.
  • 1840-1860: Marie Azélie Haydel.
  • 1860-1867: Succession Marie Azélie Haydel.
  • 1867-1880: Bradish Johnson
  • 1880-1909: Pierre Edouard St. Martin and Théophile Perret.
  • 1909-1928: St. Martin and Perret’s heirs.
  • 1928-1946: Mathilde Louise Perret and George Henri Tassin.
  • 1946-1990: Alfred Mason Barnes of New Orleans.
  • 1990-1999: Formosa Chemicals and Fiber Corporation.
  • 1999 to date: The Cummings Family of New Orleans.

 

f

Copyright © 2015 Whitney Plantation.  All rights reserved