f

The Partnership-

Jean Jacques Haydel Jr. and Marcellin Haydel (1820-1839)

“There is not enough room for two adult male crocodiles

 in the same pond” [African proverb]

 

From January 1820 to February 1839, the Haydel plantation was under the partnership of Jean Jacques Haydel Jr. and Jean François Marcellin Haydel. The partnership of the two brothers included a sugar plantation along with the buildings, tools, and animals, owned two-thirds by Jean Jacques Jr. and one-third by Marcellin.  This joint partnership did not include the slaves present at the plantation. After two decades, the management of the plantation became a matter of the Court when Jean François Marcellin Haydel filed a petition in the First Judicial District Court of the State of Louisiana in New Orleans, requesting the partition of the joint estate.  Beside the fact that “his advice or observations were not taken into account,” the petitioner also deplored “bad treatment inflicted by (…) Jean Jacques Haydel on (him) and his neglect to give proper accounts of his administration of (the) plantation and of the sale of the crops.” Since J. J. Haydel had refused an amicable partition of the tract of land in kind without resorting to a sale, the petitioner “further prayed for a partition of the land and improvements and for the citation of his brother before the Court.”

 

Judgment was rendered on the 15 June 1839 by Judge Buchanan of the First Judicial District Court of the State of Louisiana in New Orleans.  He ordered that a sale be made by Terence Le Blanc, Judge of St. John the Baptist parish; that a stay of execution be granted to the last Monday in November 1839 and that defendant pays all costs of the suit. The sale of the society was finally held on 27 February 1840 but Jean Francois Marcellin Haydel was never to witness it.  He died at his house on Saturday 16 November 1839 and was interred the next afternoon.  Martian Belfort Haydel (1804-1863), the oldest child of Jean Jacques Haydel Jr., was in the crowd that took Marcellin to his grave but his father’s name was not mentioned anywhere on the burial certificate which listed the names of some of the attendants and those who signed it.  Marcellin’s grave is still in a good shape at St. John the Baptist cemetery in Edgard, between the Catholic Church and the courthouse.

 

Jean Jacques Haydel Jr. was obviously wealthier than his brother.  He owned many plantations in St. John and Orleans parishes and a house located at the corner of Rampart and St. Peter streets, within the block bounded by St. Peter, Rampart, Orleans, and Burgundy in the French Quarter of New Orleans. He was in this city during the summer of 1855 when a yellow fever epidemic erupted and took the life of Marie Laure Haydel, his second wife, along with thirty-two slaves.  Le Meschachébé, the official newspaper of St. John the Baptist Parish, covered the event with an article describing him as being “sur le point de mourir” (about to die). Jean Jacques Haydel Jr. moved permanently to New Orleans the next year and remained a wealthy landowner. At that time his property included another house located at 102 St. Anthony Street, where he passed away on February 1, 1863.  He was 83 years old. The service was held at the St. Augustine church in Tremé, where a growing population of people of color lived, some of them probably linked to the Haydels by blood. Thus ended the life of this man who, in his tender infancy, was baptized privately because he was in danger of death.

Probable picture of Jean Jacques Haydel Jr. or his son Martian Belfort Haydel

Courtesy of Amy Haydel Knoy

Cont. - Marie Azélie Haydel

 

f

Copyright © 2015 Whitney Plantation.  All rights reserved